Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Life in Azerbaijan - Just an ordinary day

February 24, 2011
Sitting in my chilly apartment, I wait for the pot of water to boil. It has been more than an hour; the water just would not boil for the gas is very very low this evening. I have five layers of clothing on me and my fingers are still stiff and ice cold. I could not stand it any longer, I grab a rope and start jumping rope, the exercise the doctor advises me to do to keep warm.

After five minutes, I feel better, and then I become very hungry. I need foods, like….
creamy cheese cake, cheese puff, or even just a piece of cheese…
what about sweet and sour pork, roasted pork, or just a roasted pork bum,
Peking duck? By God, I would love to just smell it...

All right! I am not greedy, maybe just a bowl of egg fried rice…..Oh God, I am so hungry.

The water is still not boiling; I open a bag of salty cracker that my sister sent me. I eat it with some peanut butter and watch TV, it is BBC.

Some British lady complains that she could only afford to run a wash once a week because the utility bill is too high. Start doing it by hand lady!

She can only feed her kids with pizza, DID SHE SAY PIZZA? I am so hungry……

I open another bag of cracker, this time I eat it just plain with no peanut butter because I am running low on peanut butter as well…. and then I go to bed with a prayer “please god, let spring come soon, really soon”. I like Azerbaijan, but I hate the COLD!

Maybe tomorrow I can take a shower if the gas is back on…..Inshalla (God’s willing)

No comments: