Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Life in Azerbaijan - Scallion Pancake, Flower and Coffee

June 11, 2011



The plant I brought back from Georgia last summer is growing nicely. Two weeks ago, I discovered a small bud. I was elated. Every morning, I gave my plant a cold shower, and watched the bud getting bigger and stronger. Last night, it finally bloomed.

This plant is similar to the one that I had in my New York apartment. They have the same type of leave. My plant in New York only bloomed at night and the bloom usually lasted just a few hours. It died around midnight. The size of the flower is enormous and it is absolutely beautiful. (I know, all flower is beautiful to me). This one appears to be slightly different, but I am sure they are related to the same family.

Yesterday morning, I noticed the tip of the flower burst; it is a sign of “ready to bloom”. I brought it inside and took pictures of its every move. By 10:00pm, the flower opened up more, now I could see the hollow inside the flower. When I went to bed, the flower was still alive and this morning, I found the flower grew even bigger. She said “salam” to me. I was having a wonderful morning.

To make my morning even better, I decided to make some scallion pancakes (all of PCV friends know I make the best scallion pancake) to go with my coffee. I had my plant next to me. We enjoyed each other’s company, ate pancake, drank coffee and had a fabulous time.

Remember what Edward Abbey once said: “We can never have enough of nature”. Amen. Amen and AMEN!

No comments: