Sunday, July 01, 2012

Life After Peace Corps -


Loveliness after the Storm

After the storm last night, I am eager to go out and find out the aftermath.  Outside, everything appears to be in disarray.  Tree branches, large and small, scattered everywhere.  Leaves soaked with last night’s rain stick to the ground and create various geometric forms and shapes.  It is quite lovely.  The apple tree in front of my apartment nevertheless is fairly intact; did not lose any major limps.  I find a few apples still clinging to its mother tree, dripping with raindrops, beginning to turn into golden color.  I shall have a taste of them in the fall when they turn red.  

Ah! here she is again, that chubby little red bird.  She hardly ever flies, always leaping on the grass, foraging for foods. She owns the apple tree; never allow me a near approach to her or her tree.  Every morning she greets me, (more like warns me) by her tree, making croaking sound and keeping her eyes on me.  This morning, she has a green wriggling worm in her mouth.  While she is busying with her prize, she still watches me closely, her jumping legs ready to spring for immediate flight or fight.   I say my usual “hello” and leave her alone. 

It is a fine calm morning, air warm but clear; not the slightest breeze astir; everything shining, the rocks and plants along the Four-Mile Run Stream are shimmering with dew.   The path leading to the heart of the stream is covered with debris, wreckages and remnants of last night hurricane like storm.  Many trees have fallen as a result of the 80-100 miles wind.  The most vulnerable one is the giant sugar maple.  I spot my old friend; the one that I used to seek shelter in a hot day has fallen on the ground.  Its giant truck splits into two pieces.  I am saddened by its final display, but realize that Nature has its way to keep things in order.  The Old gives way to the Young, soon the tree will decompose and give nutrient to the earth.  Young trees will begin to grow.  It is the law of nature, the cycle of life.   I just hope one day when my sun sets, I will cuddle down on the forest floor and die like the tree, the leaves and the flowers, and like them leave no unsightly remains calling for burial.   Can’t think of any better way to die.  Haha!
 
Continue on my wanderlust, I catch a glimpse of a brown rabbit hopping across my path.  I saw her before during my previously walks.  Perhaps she recognizes my scent and is not intimidated by my presence.  Soon she loses interest in me, disappears behind the dense bushes.  Life in nature does not seem to be slightly impacted by the storm.  While we human are still moaning and complaining the lack of electricity, gas and air conditioning, all the creatures I encounter in the wood are merrily going on with their lives.   Are we too greedy or are they too ignorant? 

Returning home, I discover the flower bed by my apartment is totally destroyed by the storm.  I find some lily plants crushed by the storm.  They are lying on the ground half dying.  I pay pity on them, bring them home and put them in a jar.  Soon, the lily flowers come back to life and thank me with their enormous flowers.  Again, they have survived!

No comments: