Saturday, August 25, 2012

It Is Not The Path We Choose


Life After Peace Corps

A man reaches a fork and does not know which path to follow,

“Where do you want to go?” a stranger tries to help
“I do not know” he says
“Then it does not matter which road you choose, does it?”   

One year ago today, I was in Azerbaijan. It is hard to believe that it has been nine months since I moved back to the US.  Unlike most of my Azeri 7 teammates, I already started a new life with a new job at a new place.  Most of the Azeri 7 are still trying to define their lives after Peace Corps; looking for a job, moving in and out of their parents’ home, being a “couch potato” or continuing to travel endlessly.  The most dispiriting reality is, some of them truly have no clue as what they are going to do next.

They are the one at the cross road, trying to pick a path, but whatever path they choose, it still lead them to nowhere.  The mistake is:  before we choose a path, we must have a goal.  Once we know where we are heading, take the right path and it will eventually lead us to our destinations.

While we are on the path, we will encounter obstacles, detours, roadblocks and sometimes rock falls.  I had been there, made countless detours when the path disappeared, got lost many times in darkness, fell down to a ditch, and suffered bruises by rock falls, but I never lost sight of my goal.  To be what I am today is not luck.

For the AZ8 who are coming home soon.  Take a moment to define your goal; then a path will appear. 

AZ 8, Welcome home!  

No comments: