Thursday, August 23, 2018

Ku Fu Tea


Ku Fu Tea

 
Growing up, watched my father and uncle to prepare the “Ku Fu” tea with elaborated ceremonial procedures.  First, cleaned the drinking utensils, heated the cups warm to touch, drained the tealeaf three times, boiled the water to the right temperature and poured the steaming water quickly to the tealeaf.  Sat and waited for a minute or so, gingerly picked up the teapot, tilled it to a right angle and poured the tea slowly and steadily to a tiny drinking cup. 

 
What came out is this golden liquid with a light but pleasant fragrant.  I watched my father sipped the tea, kept it inside his month for a few seconds, put down his teacup, swallowed the tea and let out an appreciative sound.  For a young child, this seemingly painstaking process is an amazement and puzzlement.  I observed intensely how the whole saga repeated itself.  I once asked my father to let me taste the tea, it was so bitter than I never asked for a second. 

 Now, whenever I have time, I perform the same ritual with enjoyment.  Remember my aging father, passed away uncle, my culture, my roots……I have finally grown up to value things that matter to me and dear to my heart.

 

No comments: