Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Azerbaijan Hospital

February 9, 2010
İ have read one of the Peace Corps important policies that if we, PCVs ever get sick, DON’T let any non-Peace Corps doctor minister us, DON’T take any medication from them and NEVER ever let them insert an needle in us. One of the reasons is because the corruption in the country. In Azerbaijan, anyone can obtain a medical doctor degree if he/she has the money to pay the bribe. Today, I uncovered another reason.

The little boy who lives across the street from us has been sick more than a week. He is not doing well and will have to remain in the hospital for at least another week. He is a cute little boy, only 10 months old. I hold him and play with him all the times and love him dearly. Yesterday, I went to see him in the hospital.

Standing in front of the hospital entrance, I was just astounded. The hospital buildings inside the gate looked more like some old Russian army dormatories. We entered into one of the old broken buildings throught the side entrance and found out all the doors were locked. We bang on the door for five minutes, and finally a woman wearing a dirty white gown came out and looked at us with a cold face. I was not sure she was a doctor or a nurse, but either case, I would dispel her from the hospital immediately. Her appearance was totally unacceptable by the American medical standard or any medical standard.

We climbed up to the 4th floor (yes, no elevator) with broken staircases here and there. Dim light passing through some high windows showed us the way. The hallway was dark, cold and ugly. The whole place did not look, feel, or even smell like a hospital. We passed some nurse stations and I was totally disgusted. The station looked more like the kitchen of Mr. Chow. I was further appalled when I walked into the little boy’s room. A moldy smell hit me as soon as I went in. By the corner was this poor little body lying on a bed full of filthy blankets. There were no white linens covering the mattress, pillows or blankets. There were no shades or curtains by the window. A big smutty blanket veiled a doorway and behind it revealed the dirtiest bathroom I ever saw in a hospital.

Inside the bathroom was a bathtub with yellow stains and broken pipes. There was no running water inside and the toilet was unusable, that was why the hospital using the blanket to block the entrance. Was I really in a hospital or this was merely a dream? With such a horrible condition, how the little boy was going to get better? I was angry first and later on, my anger turned into sadness.

These past few weeks, all the entries of my “blog” were nothing but bad thing about this country. I wanted to write something nice, positive or at least acceptable thing about this place. I tried and tried, but in vain…

The people of Azerbaijan suffer enough! How much can I really help? I ponder this question for a long long time. Maybe I am really just a drop of water in the ocean.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chi, you are too harsh on rating the country. You are basing your judgment using American standards, which can be matched by a few countries in the world. Observe, take notes and see if you can provide improvement suggestions on areas that you can control.

I lived in China up till I was 12 years old. The village where I came from had worse living conditions than the ones you described so far, yet my family was happy there. Your host family had a toilet! It was a hard life as farmers but we were content.

As bad as as you may perceive of Azerbaijan's living conditions, their citizens do have religious freedom and their independence from former Soviet Union. Their conditions will gradually improve, where as in US, sorry to say this, we are going in reverse.

Chi, you need an attitude change! You are dug in. Stop observing and making judgment. It is time to join their lives.

-Jim

Anonymous said...

NYC received 12 inches of snow. I took a hike in the Flushing Meadow Corona Park during the heaviest snow falling and had a blast walking the lake loop.

The hike reminded me of the Nepal trip three years ago and the suffering experienced during the three-day storm.

We should go back to Nepal and try that Mera peak.

-Jim

Unknown said...

Hi, Chi: It's sad to see all unpleasant views about the country you are in. I know it's not easy to blend in. But remember what i said, We always look bright sights to cheer us up. Don't let surrouding to depress you. If you need anything in NYC, let us know we'll send to you to brighten you mood. Happy Chinese New Year! Grace $ Jane Tsai

Anonymous said...

Jim,
Thanks for keeping reading my blog. I think I am too old for the Nepal adventure. I hate the cold! When I am back in two years, I would love to do the Utah backpacking again. Hope you will join us. We still have to do the Rainbow Bridge hike.