Sunday, October 03, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Autumn in Azerbaijan



October 2, 2010
There is only one word can describe Autumn in Azerbaijan, LOVELY, simply lovely. I used to think Autumn in New York was lovely, but now I would rather use the word “gorgeous” not “lovely”. Autumn in Azerbaijan processes certain loveliness that I was unable to see in the Autumn of New York.

What makes Autumn in New York “gorgeous” is the color, the multicolor foliage in the forest. Harriman state park, the place I often visited should be coloring with yellow, red, orange and green foliage at this time. Around the Figure Board Mountain, the hill side is carpeted with wild blue berry shrubberies. In Autumn, their leaves turn into crimson, similar to the red dye dress wore by a Chinese bride. In the forest, the foliage is bright yellow, when filtered by the sunlight, it transforms to dazzling golden, like the bright light encircled an angel descending from heaven. The Autumn color not only displays on the mountain, it also mirrors on the lake surface, can be found on the forest floor, and the bottom of every stream in the park. Combining with the dry weather and cool temperature, Autumn in New York is definitely gorgeous!

Here in Azerbaijan, Autumn has arrived few weeks ago. You hardly notice it since the temperature remains hot in the afternoon. I think it is the rain at night that marks the official entry of Autumn. The first rain arrived in the middle of August. Thunders and lightings rolled and rumbled throughout the night, then they completely disappeared in the morning, left no trace of the rain since it was totally absorbed by the bone dry desert floor. However, if you are insightful enough about nature, you can sense the difference. It is the morning air, less humid, less warm, with just a light touch of cool breeze. If you pay attention to the plants and trees, you can see them revitalize overnight. The long hot dry summer has tormenting them near to perish. Something at night creeps in quietly and injects them with a doze of remedy which gives them back a new lease of life. I can nearly hear them sing when I pass them during my daily walk. At last, it is the sun. Unlike the unbearable hot sun in the summer, the Autumn sun has just the right temperature. It does not burn you, it merely “tan” you, gives you the healthy chocolate color that you can not obtain from the weak Autumn sun in New York.

What makes Autumn in Azerbaijan so lovely is its gentle, subtle, peaceful, un-dramatic, unnoticeable arrival. One September morning, sitting by the kitchen window with a cup of coffee, I felt this sudden sensation, so unbelievable comforting, a feeling I did not quite experienced in my New York apartment. Then, I said to myself, “Ah, Autumn is here!” My PCV friends, Vivian, Meagan and Rikkie were here few weeks ago, they all sitting on the same spot, complimenting the same loveliness they felt. Another thing that makes Autumn so lovely here is the way in which the locals embrace Autumn. Autumn is the time when every household in my town stores, jars and pickles the summer fruits and vegetables for the winter. This traditional act I hardly saw in the city of New York. I found myself taking a great pleasure to learn it, to participate it and hopefully to bring it back with me to New York next December.

Just a few days ago by my neighborhood, I saw an old man holding a stick, pounding on an olive tree. Shortly, many olives scattered around the floor. One black shinning one landed on my foot, I picked it up and handed it to the old man. He thanked me with a warm smile, all the wrinkles on his face deepened. He held out his big cupped hands with lots of black olives, explaining to me how he would preserve them for his family. I left him with a lovely image lingering in my mind.

What I saw in him is a face with ancient culture, traditional Azerbaijan value that never died. It was a lovely encounter on one Autumn day in Azerbaijan!

No comments: