Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Packages from home

October 23, 2010
Nothing makes us (the PCVs) happier than getting a package from home. No matter how insignificant the items inside the box may seem, each piece represents love and concern for our well being and support for what we are doing here in Azerbaijan. Yesterday, I received two big packages from two special people; my sister and Gene Rose. My sister is always special to me. She sent me nearly one package a month to cheer me up. The other special person is Gene Rose, an American friend, whom I only met once.

I met Gene few years ago in Peru. We were in the same trekking group to Macho Picchu. Gene showed interest knowing our hiking club (“Chinese Mountain Club of New York”). He is a friendly and an easy going person. Jomi, George and I found him a very good travel companion. We shared a lot of happy time up on the high mountains of Peru. After we returned home, Gene and I kept in touch with e-mail. Years later, Gene went to Iraq and did volunteer work for the American troop and I came to Azerbaijan with Peace Corps. We share the same passion as wanting to give something back to the world.

The package Gene sent me is the biggest by far. It weighted nearly 10 lbs and filled with all kind of goodies. I felt so guilt when I saw how much it cost him to mail me that big box. Inside the box, there were boxes of cake mixed that I had requested and the cheeses! I was thrilled to see so many of them, how much I missed them. I will save some for Vivian when she comes to visit me next month. Boxes of cake mixed, I can bake chocolate brownie for Rikki and Megan when they stay over in December. The chocolates, the bubble gums, and the bagel chips (it is the New York style!), my God, I am in heaven.

Then, I opened my sister’s package. All the Chinese moon cake I craved for were looking back at me, waiting for me to eat them. There were Chinese soy source, sesame oil, peanut oil, a Japanese bowl, DVD movies, and all kind of Chinese snacks that remained me of my happy childhood! Usually I watch what I eat. But yesterday, I did not care. I ate nearly the entire slab of cheese with salty cracker, then after dinner, I ate the whole moon cake. I was sure I consumed more than 5000 calories in a day. By the end of this week, I may gain back some weight to 100 lbs.

Yesterday was one of the happiest days of my life in Azerbaijan. I know there are people care deeply about what I do, love me for who I am. I am grateful to have a friend like Gene and a kind person like my sister. Thank you very much, both of you. Now with the burst of energy from the cheese, this evening, I am going to play football with those cute little kids by the Sea. I can image how their faces will light up when they see Gene’s chocolates and bubble gums.

No comments: