Monday, January 17, 2011

My Life in Azerbaijan - Remedy for a Cold Winter Night

January 15, 2011
My apartment has been so cold and my fingers suffer the most. At work, the bank also has no heat so, the prolong exposure of my fingers in a cold temperature makes all my joins inflamed and itchy like hell, (don’t really quite understand it). It is especially bad on my right hand. Now my right hand is ½ sizes bigger than my left hand. It happened last winter as well. Now at home, I have to wear gloves to protect all my fingers. Wrapping my fingers around a cup of hot tea also helps. It is fact of life here in Azerbaijan, so I just have to deal with it.

Yesterday I received a package from a friend in the States. It contained the book I ordered; “River” by Colin Fletcher. As I began to read it, I could not put it down. Sitting in my living room which was now slightly heated by a strong afternoon sunlight, I felt a bit warmer. My fingers were still puffed-up, but the hot drink helped to ease the discomfort. Reading the book and sipping the 3-1 coffee, I found myself unconsciously drifting into a world of Colin Fletcher. How much I had missed reading all the books I used to love at home. Peace Corps office has a lot of books, but it does not have or lacks of the kind of books I like. Shipping a book from the States to here, it costs a lot of money for my friends to do that. Luckily, I have a few individuals whom I can truly relay on and call them a “real friend”.

Winter here in Azerbaijan often makes PCV feel extra lonely and unhappy. We have to find a way to please ourselves. Young PCVs like to visit each other, cooking, drinking, partying or doing other crazy things to keep alive. According to statistic, average female volunteers tend to gain weight after joining the Peace Corps. As for me, I enjoy the coziness of a warm blanket with a good book, the kind of languid day I fancy. Colin Fletcher is one of my favorite adventure writers. He is regarded as the “Father of modern Backpacking”. I have a collection of his books at home. This book is about his latest adventure. At age sixty-seven, he decided to make a six-month single-handed, foot-and-raft expedition down the full length of the Colorado River. The kind of journey someday I hope I will venture.

I know this book will help me to survive in some of coldest and loneliest winter nights in Azerbaijan. I plan to take my time to read this book so it will last until the end of winter, but I really doubt that would happen.
I made Chinese Dumpling too!

No comments: