Monday, May 16, 2011

My Life in Azerbaijan - Poor but with Grace

May 11, 2011




As a foreigner, especially being an American, PCV is often regarded by the Azeri as a “Rich American”. They assume every American is well-off. First day at work, the opening question from my co-workers was “How much money do you make in America?”, and the 2nd question, “Can you take me with you to America?” and when I asked what they were planning to do in America, their answer was “Stay with you! You have money”.



One time I made a mistake by offering my co-worker a pack of 3-in-1 coffee. Afterward, he asked me for coffee every morning. Finally, I had to stop drinking coffee at work to avoid being asked again. Another time, another employee asked me for money. At first, I assumed he just needed some changes for a pack of gum, so I gave him a manat ($1.25). He took it and never paid me back. When he later asked me for more, I demanded for an explanation. He simply smiled and said “you are an American, you have money”. A week later, a credit manager approached me and wanted to borrow 100 manat ($125). I knew if I lent him the money, I would never see my money again, so I declined. A kid in my neighborhood saw me one day. He held out his hand and asked me for money “You are an America and you work at the bank, you have money, give me money”. I was utterly furious by their behavior! Where are their pride, their grace and their dignity?



I was poor once. I earned my college degree by washing dishes in the university kitchen and mopping the cafeteria floor until midnight. After graduation, I could only afford to buy a cheap “Sears” suit for a job interview. During the interview, I was honest and humble for who I was. I told the interviewer (partner of a prestige accounting firm) my struggle and hardship during the school years. He was impressed and offered me a job on the spot. First day reported to work, I wore the same “Sears” suit and received a few stares. Of course, I was embarrassed, but I would rather be embarrassed than asked money from friends to make myself look “expensive”. My point is: there is NOTHING wrong for being poor. We can not help for being WHO we are, but we can choose to be WHAT we are. If we let money to define us, we lose our self respect!



Fortunately, my female Azeri friends at work are more gracious. They never asked me for anything, contrary, they often offered me their foods when we had tea together. So, not all Azeri is as gluttonous as the three creatures I encountered. Perhaps they are just a few bad apples, not necessary representing most people in Azerbaijan.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a disgrace! I'm appalled..I'm an Azeri myself but I now live in Australia, I haven't been there for a few years now..It embarasses me, but I agree completely when they realise you are a foreigner, especially from an english speaking country they immediately assume that you are wealthy and indulge in a luxurious life..but who can blame them they are made beggars by their economy, by their government..Bribery is all they now know..I hope one day they will see that honest money goes further