Sunday, May 08, 2011

My Life in Azerbaijan - Wild Flowers


May 6, 2011 – Wild Flowers

I suspect that my previous life I was a flower, for I love flower. These couple weeks, my apartment is full of flowers, and they smell just WONDERFUL!

The April shower finally ends. Weather in May is just lovely. The temperature is getting warmer and plenty of sunshine every day. The day is also getting longer. After work, I can not wait to head out for my run/walk. There are plentiful of flowers inside the park, but I only fancy the wild ones. Wild flowers particularly appeal to me because of their unique characters. Usually they are not so flamboyant, but subdue, not so colorful but still attractive, and most of them have a short but strong and productive life. Inside the park, there are wild flowers everywhere, but you have to know where to look for them. They tend to grow in secluded locations where “The Place No One Knew”.

Last year, I accidentally discovered four wild Lilac bushes hidden behind some desert shrubberies. So this year since April, I have been visiting the plants diligently, watching young leaves unfold everyday and finally clusters of purple flowers appear. Two days ago, I climbed over the fence, dug myself into the underbrush, created a parade for the locals to watch, and got my Lilac! Beside the Lilac, there was a yellow flower that caught my attention last year as well. Initially, I could not locate them, just kept smelling this wonderful fragrant as soon as I entered to the “Lover Lane” (a green tunnel where all the young Azeri lovers like to linger). I searched and searched, of course received lots of dirty look from the “Azeri Lovers” and eventually stumbled upon a ditch and nearly killed myself. As I picked myself up and looked to the ground, Ah! Here they were, those infinitesimal yellow flowers were looking back at me and gave me a warm welcome smile.

When the yellow flowers are in full bloom, they give away such a powerful, sweet aroma that they attract lots of bees. Yesterday, I risked being stung by a bee and picked tons of them home to decorate my apartment. Now, I can smell them when I am writing my journal and tonight I can smell them in my dream. Every morning when I get up, I say “hello” to all my flowers, give them a cold refreshing bath, and they absolutely LOVE it. How do I know? Because they told me!!!

Each day, I am more and more convinced that, once upon a time, I was indeed a flower. Perhaps, a wild flower.


(Morning, time for a cold shower girls!)

No comments: