Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Life in Azerbaijan - A Journey Home




August 28, 2011

Autumn has set in. For days the sky wept. During the entire COS conference, it rained everyday! but it was nice to see all my friends again. Perhaps this was the last time we would be together as a group. After the COS conference, one by one will leave this country and head home.


When the sun finally comes out today, the temperature drops to a very comfortable level. I think summer is officially over. It signals another beginning. With only two months left, I will be saying goodbye to this country for good. Deep down inside, I am aware that I will never come back here again……

Today, I begin systematically going through one drawer to another, sorting out things into three piles, items that I want to bring home, items that I can giving away to neighbors and items that should be discarded. Hard to believe that I have cumulated so much junks over the years. Lots of CDs that I used to love; now they become a burden to bring home. I will give them away to kids.

As I go through some old papers, I discovered a pile of package slips. Over the past two years, I have received more than 16 packages from friends and family. I purposely saved those slips to remind myself, how lucky I am to have friends and family supporting my Peace Corps mission. Their packages mean a world to me…..really…thank you all. I have to find a way to reciprocate their kindness someday.

A strange sensation emerges as I start preparing my journey home…….can not fully comprehend that emotion..…I think I am not the same person who left New York two years ago….I have changed and it frightens me.












No comments: