Friday, September 02, 2011

My Life in Azerbaijan - Reflection of My Peace Corps Dream


I chewed over this statement for a long time:

Peace Corps was a lovely idea-for idle and idealistic young Americans. Gave them a chance to see a bit of the world, learn something. But as an effort to “improve” the lives of other peoples, the inhabitants of the so-called “underdeveloped nations, it was an act of cultural arrogance. A piece of insolence.” - Edward Abbey

Edward Abbey is my idol but when the first time I read this, I was angry. What did he know about Peace Corps, he had never been a Peace Corps volunteer! Now as my Peace Corps dream approaches to an end, I can not help but brooding over his statement once again, and this time, to a certain degree, I agree with Ed.

Recently, I read an article written by Paul Theroux, a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (RPCV) served in Malawi in the 1960’s as a English teacher, his reflection of Peace Corps experience somewhat resonates Ed’s opinion:

“My teaching had its uses for them, but what I taught was negligible compared to what I learned.....most people would not see what I saw in Africa: the resiliency of the people. Africans knew neglect, drought, flood, bad harvests, hungers, disease…..and yet in the face of these adversities they had developed survival skills, and prevailed….today... despite forty years of volunteer efforts, Malawi is probably worse off than it was back in 1963…”

So what is the point of Peace Corps?

“I became a teacher in Africa and my whole life changes. I was happier; I had a purpose…… I was becoming the person I wanted to be, not just a young man with a job but someone developing a sensibility....”

The time I spent in Azerbaijan, without a doubt has a greater impact on me than on the people whom I was trying to help. How much I have changed since I set foot in this “underdeveloped” country. I know I can tolerate a much higher degree of discomfort, no regular running water, gas or electricity is not the end of the world. Having lived with people with so little material provisions, now I can go home and be happy to live simple. I don’t need a high paying job; I can survive with less income. I don’t have to live in a luxury two-bed room condo. I can be just happy to live in a cozy studio. I don’t have to drink Starbuck coffee, eat imported cheese, and indulge with expensive wine. I don’t need fancy jewels and designer clothing to look good. I don’t have to compete with colleagues and friends. I don’t have to rush going from point A to point B.

I will return to New York with a much lighter spirit. Three most valuable lessons I learned from my Peace Corps experience: be patient, be flexible, and always have a sense of humor. I have grown to love life with a different attitude, I become more sensible and understanding, learn to listen more, have less self-pity, care more about my community, friends and family, recognize there are many people in the world with real problems, be more supportive with their needs rather than constantly complain about my own problems. Life in Azerbaijan has made a profound difference in me.

As my Peace Crops journey comes to an end, and soon there will be more new faces (the AZ9) coming to Azerbaijan in October. I wish them well and my advice to them is another quote from Paul Theroux:

“…don’t make a mistake in thinking that you will make an important difference in the lives of the people you are among. The profound difference will be in you”.

Value your time here for it will forever change you. Good luck AZ9, and be a good Peace Corps Volunteer!

2 comments:

Veronika said...

Every time I read your blog, it inspires me. It takes me back to my childhood in Uzbekistan. Yes, we've lived a great life there, but not having running water, sometimes not having gas or electricity is very close to home. Not having everything at hand, having minimum on a daily basis, not having yogurt every day, no bananas, no meat... makes you appreciate life here SO much more here in America.
You really get to see the majority of Americans, who have never experienced any kind of difficulty that I have. You learn to live with what you have, and living in America, the country of prosperity, you really appreciate everything you have to its full extent. Sometimes, I just thank G-d for a hot shower, plenty of food, just freedom to live and having a great job, being able to help my family. My point in all of this is after your recent blog, you realize the life that we live in NY is so hectic, always full of chaos. But for what? We have everything we need, and why are we still complaining, angry and bitter. I guess, when you have enough, you always want more.

I have such pleasure reading your blogs and I cannot wait for you to get back to NY so we can discuss all that you have seen and learned during our dinner :)

Anonymous said...

Ed Abbey did volunteer in the Peace Corps, Columbia 1974-75