Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My Life in Azerbaijan - Job Hunting

September 8, 2011

News from AZ6 (the group left last year) that lots of them having difficulty finding jobs in the States. Some advised us to begin job searching as soon as possible, even before we leave for the States. I am a planner and I have started my job searching back in January. As of today, I have already sent out 65 Federal job resumes, received six potential interviews, two telephone interviews and in fact one job offer. The reply ratio is 9% and successful rate is 1.5%. When compared to others’, my response ratios are considered very high. One of the RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer) told me that he sent out 150 resumes and received NONE, yes zero response.

I was a little distressed when I received my 1st rejection letter. The rejection letter was just a standard computerized e-mail, no personal touch, plainly say “NO, thank you for applying”. After the 2nd, 3rd…. and the 50th negative response, instead of being upset, I simply joked around with the RPCV that 60 resumes down and only 90 more to go. By now, I am used to all the rejections but I am not giving up.

I never held a Federal job which could be a disadvantage. Federal job usually opens to veterans first, their spouses, disable applicants, federal employees, former federal employees, and finally candidates under special appointing authority, such as RPCV. Even I am an over-qualified RPCV candidate for the position, someone who is a “Status” applicant and meet the minimum education or experience requirements, he/she will be considered for an interview before me. All and all, I am on the bottom of the list but slightly better than average non-status US citizen.

Another thing I want to point out is the application process, from the time you send in your on-line application to the time you receive (If you do receive) a response, average time span is 45-60 days, sometimes it is even longer. My country director told me that she did not hear about her application until 9 months later. On top of that, writing a Federal Resume and KSAs (knowledge, abilities and skills) essay are exasperating. You have to use the exact wordings on the job description to prepare your resume. Every resume is first screened by computer, not someone from HR. If you don’t use the language that the computer is expecting, your resume will not be picked up for further review. That means each job you apply requires a customized resume. It took me six months to become proficiency in my Federal resume writing. Now I have set up three standard resumes: one for Accountant, one for Budget Analyst and one for Financial Analyst position. Each time I apply for a new opening, I just have to revise some wordings to match with those on the job description.

Finally, the technical and assessment questionnaires, which can add up to a hundred questions to answer. I usually print them out, study them and use the questions to adjust my resume as well. All these never ending processes add up to many frustrations. A lot of people did finally give up.

But I am not giving up. I will continue applying for that Federal “Dream” job. I truly believe that if I work hard, I shall be rewarded. In addition, I really like President Obama; and I love to help him to straight out the Federal Budget. :-P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The President can use some love these days. He is besieged on four sides!