Wednesday, September 07, 2011

My Life in Azerbaijan - Little friend from Azerbaijan

September 3, 2011


Even Peace Corps discourages it, but every year, one or two PCV would bring an Azerbaijan animal home, usually it is either a cat or a dog. Not only it is a very costly arrangement, it is also a tiresome process, tons of paperwork to fill. Dog and cat are not well cared for by the Azerbaijani and it is not difficult to understand. Some Azerbaijani do not even have enough money to feed their kids; so how can they afford to treat an animal as well as the way the American do. Personally, I would never go through all these trouble to bring an animal home. However, I fully understand why someone would do that.


Few months ago, while I was running by the park, out of nowhere, a little yellow object leaped out from behind a bush. I was startled by it and my immediate reaction freighted the little creature as well. It, in return, ran back to the bushes and peeked at me coyly. When I finally realized that was a puppy no more a month old, I approached it with extreme gentleness. The puppy was still afraid of me but its curiosity overcame its fear, slowly he came out from the bushes, hopping up and down to greet me. The little thing was just a ball of furs, so tiny, so cute and so adorable. But as I got closer to it, I saw ticks covering the puppy’s head and body. I was sick to my stomach. The puppy was abandoned by its mother and it desperately needed affection. I wanted to touch him so badly but I would not dare, just left him there with those “begging for attention” and innocent eyes.

For the next few days, I continued seeing him, each time, he greeted me with the same eagerness and affection, and each time, I avoided him. After a week or so, I did not see him anymore and I just assumed that he was death (most dogs in Azerbaijan end up that way).

Few days ago, I came to the same area and met an old lady with a dog. The dog seemed to be very happy to see me. He kept using his feet to touch mine. I did not recognize it first but as I looked into its eyes, I saw that innocent look again. It was the same dog! He was adopted by this kind Azeri grandmother. He was tick free and had grown much bigger but it was still a playful puppy. The following day, I brought him a bone. As soon as he saw me, he ran so fast to greet me, again hopping up and down to show its affection. I told him “otur” (to sit), and he understood! He let me took a photo of him. My heart just melted. It was lucky that this puppy was adopted or I had to worry about leaving him behind.

Now I am seriously thinking about getting a dog or a cat when I get home! Hum……

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dog never forget benefactor.
Dogs will surely remember that you can resume a few years later.

Animals never lie, but people are liars.

Take care
Please enjoy the rest of the time.

Anonymous said...

Forgive those who had lied to you. They may or maynot have a good reason to lie but we must give them a benefit of doubt that they mean no harm.

Anonymous said...

Too many dogs in the Rego Park area. Get a cat!