Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My Life in Azerbaijan - Volunteer, a Life Time commitment

September 24, 2011

Years ago, I watched a special program on PBS and learned about a very touching story. A successful young eye doctor decided to give up her career in Europe and went back to her own country in Africa and helped those who had suffered years of unnecessary blindness. Accidentally, I saw her again on TV today, she is a bit older now but is still as energetic as the first time I saw her on TV.

Over the years, her story inspired many eye surgeons in the world. Once a year, they joined her and donated their service to help her people. She told the TV reporter that she was deeply humbled by their kindness. Some of the volunteers came from far places; and paid for their own plant ticket and brought their own supplies. Most of them came year after year. She continued to tell the reporter that when she first met those volunteer surgeons, they all had dark hair; today nearly all of them have grey hair. She laughed after she made that comment, but I found myself not laughing.

Before today, I convinced myself that serving the Peace Corps for two years; I had done my share of goodness to the world. After Peace Corps, I can move on to pursuit my own happiness with no guilt. Today, watching this young woman’s interview, I feel ashamed. These doctors have made volunteer work their life time commitment. They never thought of their action as “their share” of kindness to the world, they put no time limit as how many years of volunteer service they should do. They did it year after year for they believe in doing it. They have the true spirit of volunteerism. I am forever humbled by them.

Tomorrow, I will begin a search for my next volunteer work. Like those doctors, I will made volunteerism my life time commitment, whether it is just a few hours a week or once a month.

No comments: