Monday, February 20, 2012

Life After Peace Corps

Rekindle an Old Friendship

Derrick and Stella are old friends from the CMCNY. They moved to Maryland more than 10 years ago. I used to hike with Derrick; he was one of the fastest hikers and the most charming individual in the club. I still remember that night in NY China Town we said goodbye to Derrick. After they moved to DC, I only saw them once in the 2008 Utah trip and afterward, we lost contact but yesterday, I saw them again and it was a warm feeling to reunite with old friends after all these years.

Derrick looks very healthy and young, of course is as charming as ever. We exchanged CMCNY stories, old and new. We were excited to relive some of the memorable moments in the infamous Hawaii trip. How quickly time flies, really! When I looked at Derrick’s face, it brought me back to the time when I first joined CMCNY. Back then, I was a naive, inexperienced and clumsy hiker. How much I have grown. Today, not only I become a better hiker, trip planner and researcher, but also I come to understand nature, to appreciate its beauty and more importantly, to build a relationship with it. I found my “God” in nature.

I could not envisage how my life would have been without this big family. How many wonderful people I have met; how many hiking trips I have done and how many mountains I have climbed, all because of CMCNY.

Derrick and Stella took me to visit their neighborhood. It is the real China Town of DC. I did not know this place existed. If I had known, I would have chosen this place for my residence in DC. There were many Chinese supermarkets, restaurants, cafes, and noodle shops. I felt like I was back in Flushing, NY again. Stella helped me to shop lots of Chinese vegetables, fruits and goodies. I was elated just thinking I could have a Chinese meal again in my apartment. I will start looking for a new place in this neighborhood once my lease is up in Virginia.

Since I came back from the Peace Corps, life has been beyond wonderful. Maybe Derrick is right, it is all because of "God". I hope someday I will connect with "him" for "He" has been very kind to me so far....

No comments: