Saturday, February 25, 2012

Life After Peace Corps

My New Job

Before I joined the Smithsonian, I knew the organization is well-known, but hardly did I realize that it was so recognizable by the American that every time when I told people that I worked for the Smithsonian, I received admiration, acceptance and appreciation. People all assumed that I was involved with the educational exhibitions, scientific researches and exotic adventures. I am after all, just an accountant working for its comptroller office.

As part of the Smithsonian family, I am eager to find out everything about the organization. For the past few weeks, I visited many of its museums, galleries and its zoo. Yes, Smithsonian owns a Zoo! First week at work, my manager already encouraged me to get involved with the Smithsonian’s public events, outreach programs and community projects. Work, for the organization comes second, to be a good ambassador for the Smithsonian comes first.

Years working in NYC for the financial sector, I was always told that work came first. Not only I had to work hard, I was also expected to work long hours. 9 to 5 was never my working hour. If I was not happy with the long working hours, I quitted and found another job. But the next job was not much better. Finally, I realized that changing job was simply “going from one hell-hole to another hell-hole”. So when first day at work, my co-workers told me that I could choose my work schedule from 8am to 4:30pm or from 9am to 5:30pm, I could not believe. If I choose, I can even work extra hour every day, and have every other Friday off.

What am I going to do with all the free time? I don't know. Perhaps everything happening to me so far is not real. It is a just a dream. Someday, I am going to wake up and all this will be gone. It just CANNOT BE REAL!!!

No comments: