Saturday, April 07, 2012

Life After Peace Corps



Disappearing Into the Night

One of my Chinese Night Blooming Cereus plants is still not doing well. She has been with me more than eighteen years. When I brought her home, she was just a piece of lifeless leave, a so neglected piece of leave. I nurtured her back to life. Two years later, she surprised me with a beautiful flower. Since then, she flourished into a healthy and productive mother.

Each year, she continued to give me more and more flowers. At one point, she became so big that I had to cut off some of her leaves. I put those leaves in water, and soon later, they all had roots and I cared for them with equal love. Within a year, all grew to be prince charming, handsome healthy youngsters. I gave some away to friends, and kept a few. One particular one turned into a magnificent beauty. She produced more flowers than her mother. I helped her to make more baby plants as well. So in short, my original plant is a not only a mother, she is a great, great, great grandmother.

I have long believed that plants have feelings, emotions, and personalities. I am not the first person to speak of “the sensitive plant”. Edward Abbey believed it too. Even recent researchers suggest that plants respond to music and to human emotions. I am inclined to believe it. I spent nearly twenty years with this plant, caring for her, talking to her and begging her to give me flowers. She acknowledged my friendship with silent promise. Year after year, she bloomed with all her energy. Perhaps now is time for her to rest and to disappear into the night…..

I place her by the window, a spot that catches most of the morning sun. I make her feel as comfortable as possible. I will let her decide when to wither. For now, I will give her even more love and care.

She is, in spite of everything, an old friend, a loyal unselfish dear friend, never question my motive, give me nothing but love……

No comments: