Monday, April 09, 2012

Life After Peace Corps

Pleasant Encounter

Part of my 26-mile training path in VA goes through dense woodlands. Inside, there are network of trails made by dog walkers. Some trails are up on a steep slope, far away from the bicycle path and the Four Mile Run stream. At first, I did not dare entering into those woods alone as more often than not, those trails were deserted. Finally, curiosity overcame my fear, I went in one Sunday afternoon and since then, there was no turning back. Initially, I was startled by every rustling noise of the forest, and I cursed at the birds erupted under my feet. But after a while, I realized that there was really nothing to fear in nature. Now, I am more afraid of bumping into a stranger than a wild animal. Besides, those isolated winding routes are perfect for my training for the 26-mile hike.

Last Sunday, I went into the woods again. The entrance was a narrow corridor leading to a small hill. The path was littered with broken tree barks and padded with many seasons of fallen dried leaves. It was very comfortable to walk on, perhaps it made a nice bedding as well. As I causally looked ahead, something caught my attention, at the top of the hill stood a small animal. At first, I thought it was dog, a very small dog. But then, I noticed that the animal had a slim figure, too elegant to a dog, and where was the owner. I took off my sunglasses and had a second look. That animal looked straight at me. It did not move, just stood there and looked at me intensely. I stared back and did not move either. For five seconds, we both just stood there, waited to see who would do the first move. Finally, it moved away slowly, realized that I meant no harm. As it turned away, I could see its full profile, it was not a dog. It is a wild red fox! a beautiful red fox with long brown tail. I hurried up to the hill, stopped on the spot where the red fox once stood. The red fox was long gone but I found myself standing there with a big smile.

I remember an article of Edward Abbey. He described his encountered with a mountain lion in the wild. This is what he wrote:

I have not seen a mountain lion since that evening, but the experience remains shining in my memory. I want my children to have the opportunity for that kind of experience. I want my friends to have it. I even want our enemies to have it…..

That was exactly how I felt

No comments: