Thursday, May 17, 2012

Life After Peace Corps

 Life as It Should Be
The recent GSA scandal not only causes the casualty of a few top executives, it also creates massive financial reporting nightmares to other Federal agencies.  About a month ago, my organization received a letter from US Senator requesting a list of conference costs.   Financial reporting is my expertise, I had no problem putting the data in the format that was requested, but the data was MASSIVE, more than 3,000 entries , so I worked very hard for a week, nearly as hard as I used to when I worked for the private sector.  
Well, doing special project (like this Congressional Request) is always interesting.   I have been with the Smithsonian only three months, but I learnt a lot, including some of the BIG words, such as Curator, Philanthropy, Symposium, Synchrotron and Anthropological;  words that I never ever used before.  Now I can talk like a Professor, a Scientist, an educator, or even Dr. Chan…..:-)
I like my job, I like my organization.  It is a privilege to work for the Smithsonian. The work is not difficult at all.  Sometimes, I do feel bored working for the Federal Government.  I missed the dynamic environment in the private sector, the board room drama, the everlasting challenges of my brain, the accomplishments, and of course, the BIG FAT bonus at the end.  All those things made me feel important, productive, smart and proud.  Not everyone can handle the pressure I used to deal with everyday….but at the end, I could not deal with it any longer.
At this stage of my life, I want to spend more time doing things I enjoy.  Working 40 hours a week is enough.   I am off this Friday, plan to visit some museums, maybe go to Mt. Vernon, visit George Washington Estate, maybe take a long walk along the river, maybe visit my friends in NY, or maybe doing nothing at all……

No comments: