Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Life After Peace Corps

Things I Love to Do

My neighborhood has lot of flowers and trees.  In front of my apartment, there are two fruit trees: apple and the purple leaf plum.  I recognized the apple tree since spring but discovered the purple leaf plum tree only yesterday.  It was its deep red fruit caught my attention.  I spot a few lying on my running path.  Immediately, I thought they were cherries.  But when I bit into the fruit, it was crunchy like a plum with a sweet and sour taste.  I went to “google” and found out its name.   I was excited, went back to the tree and kept taking pictures of its fruits  Leaning new things in nature always brings me lots of joy.    
If I can re-live again, I would love to be a Botanist or Archeologist.  I am just a nature lover; crazy about everything in the natural world: flowers, trees, wildlife, streams, waterfalls, mountains, rocks and even a dead tree.  Remembering their names and shapes seems effortless to me.  Once I study a plant, I never forget its name and its look.   I think I will be happy just gardening every day, or scouting the wood every weekend.    I will be equally happy if I am a National Park Ranger, visiting a mountain every day. 
To be an Archeologist, one must have a strong desire for adventures, which I know I have.  Traveling to remote places, climbing into tombs, caves, mountains, cliffs, finding out the  relationship between people and landscapes, discovering the mysterious past behind each excavation, etc…  all that mesmerizes me.  Men like Indiana Jones, to me, are the most interesting and sexiest men on earth! I will have endless conversation with them over dinner with a glass of wine and candle light.
Anyway, I have lots of plans when I retire.  I can be a volunteer for a National Park, Sierra Club or an archeology society, or I can hike the entire Appalachian Trail, Continental Divide or the Pacific Crest, disappear into the woods for months, to be a hermit…..
Would that be nice?

No comments: