Sunday, January 17, 2016

Retirement or Not

Retirement or not
January 17, 2016

The creator of Spider man, Stanley Lieber, who is 93 years old, was asked by a reporter when he intended to retire.   He smiles and says “I enjoy what I do, why should I retire?”
His reply echoes my friend Derrick’s answer to my repeated question “when are you going to slow down, Derrick?”  His answer is always the same, “I enjoy what I do Chi!” 

After he retires, Derrick works as a translator, devotes his time to help the non-English speaking Chinese immigrants for their needs and rights.  His work is admirable but keeps him very busy.  Derrick is an old friend and an excellent hiker.  Many times, I wish he could quit his busy translating work and join me for the outdoor adventures.  My motive maybe a bit selfish, but I do want to see him enjoy his retirement and return to his passion which I always assume is “hiking”, period.

33 Retirement Wishes, Messages and Happy Retirement CardsDerrick still enjoys hiking, I am sure.  But his passion is more than just that.  Helping others is also his “zeal”.  He is one of those lucky individuals who know exactly where his heart lies and is passionate enough to pursuit that desire until the end.   “Why should he retire?”  I finally understand.  Maybe next time, when I announce that I want to retire early, in stand I should say

“ I am changing my career to which I love so much that I will never ever retire!”

Thanks Mr. Stanley and Derrick for waking me up, your insightful advice and the commendable example of life. 

No comments: