Friday, January 12, 2024

 My Retirement Years

Come out from Retirement

Since I retired three months ago, I have received calls, text messages and emails asking me questions about my old job, or worse, returning to work part time or as a full-time consultant.  My first reaction was: feeling flatter.   Many of my co-workers, manager, and even upper management still respect my accounting skill, trust my judgement, and appreciate the quality of my work.  However, after that feeling subsided, my intuition urged me to say “no”. 

Life goes through stages, and we ought to give ourselves the opportunity to experience different phase of our life.    When it is time to retire, I did not hesitate to take that big step.  Returning to work, either part time or full time, is denying myself to experience that stage of my life.  Afterall, I love being retired.  Having time to do what I enjoy (drawings, hiking, camping, and backpacking) or having time to do nothing at all is wonderful. 

The ten years with the Smithsonian, I had made many recognizable contributions to the organization.  Many difficult projects, new assignments and impossible jobs were given to me, not because I was willing to do it, but because I was trusted by my manager to complete those assignments timely and professionally.  Once the assignment was given to me, I put 120% of my effort into finishing it.  As a result, I have gained and cumulated notably accounting and financial knowledge of the Smithsonian, far more than most accountants, managers, and directors both inside and outside of the department.

After years being relied upon, some people feel uncomfortable without me being around, including upper management.    However, no one is irreplaceable.  If I can do it, so can others.   The only requirement is a good work ethic, put extra effort to solve problems, instead of getting answers from me, research and find answers yourselves!

No comments: