Wednesday, January 10, 2024

 My Retirement Years

Retirement

Two weeks into my retirement, and that is how I feel….

Retirement allows me to ponder the past, to remember family members who once occupied my life but quietly and unconsciously slipped away. Retirement is also time to relive moments that once pained or elated my heart. Retirement lets me rekindle some of my impossible dreams, Retirement is the time to toss a long life of collecting, what once was necessary no long needs to consume my time.  

Hour by hour I sit and muse
in what way my brain to use.

Shall I write or shall I read
for such effort is there need

I think on this and think on that,
some thoughts come easily as pat,
others cause my brain to shun
from anything that isn’t fun.

Retirement. A perpetual rest?
I’ve never known a harder test!
I’ve never been inclined to shirk,
but doing nothing’s such hard work.

I’m sure it’s true, some OAPs  (“
Old age pensioner”)
know how it’s best to enjoy ease.
I wish that I was one of those
able to sit, relax and doze.


By Kate Beamish

 As a retiree, I find I am busier than ever! 

Retirement is time to reflect, to live again, to be productive and creative. Retirement is all about “you”.  Enjoy it!

 

No comments: