Saturday, October 10, 2009

My Life with Peace Corps - Hunting for Internet

We have not had an internet connection since Monday, which is four days ago. Everyone is eager to e-mail home. During the week, our classes occupy most of our time. We have language training since 9:00am and the class does not end until 5:00pm or 6:00pm. After dinner, we still have to study to keep up with our lessons. By the end of the week, we are all very tired. We miss our families and friends back home.

During the week some PCVs found out the nearest internet café and they went out at night to check out the location. I am a single girl, the Azeri culture does not allow single woman wondering around at night alone. My street has no street light, after dark it is very dark and I have not been allowed by my host family to venture out at night. This is another disadvantage living with a host family. Our freedom is restricted. Saturday afternoon after school, my cluster (CED group) decided to take a marsrutka (minibus) and go to town for a little fun. As soon as we found out the internet location, we all buried ourselves in the café.

It cost 0.20 – 0.40 AZN (US$0.25-$0.50) for 30 minutes. It seems cheap but if you only have 17 AZN per week as allowance, it does not seem cheap after all. I am an accountant and I know how to budget my allowance to live through the week. I will keep my spending into minimum in other areas, but internet access is important to me, no matter how expensive it is.

Finally, I sent out all my e-mails. Life seems lonely and hard right now in Azerbaijan but knowing that I have my strong supports from friends and family back home, I feel much better.

No comments: