Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - My famous PC Site Mate

October 25, 2009

Everyone is concerned about my health. This morning, my host sister takes me and my site mate Vivian to the Bazaar. I can buy whatever I want. She insists to buy me some bananas. I love banana and I do miss it, but it is very expense here in Azerbaijan. Banana has to be imported to this country. Average Azerbaijani cannot afford to buy banana. I feel bad that my host family has to spend extra money to get me the banana.

After we get home, Vivian wants to cook me lunch. As we start talking about our past, Vivian begins to open up and reveals more secret about herself. Back in the US, Vivian was a famous cook. Her name was mentioned twice in the New York Times. She used to have her own Catering business in Dallas Texas. Her famous clients include Prince of Saudi Arabia, Lara Bush, Macy store, Henry Kissinger and Nancy Reagan. She was named as one of the best Caterers in the US by the New York Times. When she catered the party for Nancy Reagan, she had the secret service in her kitchen for two weeks!

I am very impressed about her story. I am more impressed that she decided to come here in Azerbaijan and wanted to help the people here. Vivian and I get along very well. We spend more and more time together studying, chatting, and cooking. Life in this poor village of Azerbaijan begins to seem getting better everyday. This afternoon, she makes me a very simple vegetables dish. It is so delicious and healthy. Few weeks ago, she also made an apple pie for Kim, her host family and me. It was absolutely delicious! I ask her to start giving me cooking lessons, perhaps when I return to the US, I can cook for “J” and if he likes my cooking, maybe I can keep him for good.

Life has its way to amaze me, my life here in Azerbaijan was harsh and difficult at one point, but now I begin to see the silver lining. I like it here.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Chi - It's great to hear you are finding some simple joy in being there! You're the best!.... and by the way, I LOVE Apple Pie!!!!
You can learn from Vivian and then bake one for me someday.....
Linda