Sunday, October 25, 2009

My Life in Azerbaijan - Doctor's order

October 23, 2009
Since I came back from Ujar, some people from my group noticed that I am getting too thin. My clothing all seems too big. My pants no longer fit; my shirts are falling off my shoulders. I look at myself in the mirror and see my face becoming thinner. Even my host mother notices it after I returned from the Ujar. My site mate Carol is concerned so she tells our LCF. (LCF is responsible for our well being during the training) Therefore, today, my PST pays a family visit to my host mother. She wants to find out why I continue to lose weight.

I have not been feeling well and gotten sick a few days since I arrived in Azerbaijan. My stomach does not agree with the water and foods here. In addition, the food here is just lack of variety. I am missing lots of vegetables and fiber on my diet. My host family is not feeding me enough good and nutritious foods, plus I am not crazy about the Azerbaijan cooking. It is too oily. Everyday, I go to school only with 2 small potatoes, a cucumber and an apple. Dinner, I eat very little if I do not like the food.

I am kind of embarrassed about the whole situation. My culture taught me to be humble when living with others. I should not demand for extra treatment while I am staying in other people’s home. If I do not like their foods, then I should just be hungry. I think that is how I have been dealing with my situation for the past few weeks. As a result, I lost more and more weight.

My host sister and I work out a plan. Monday, we will go shopping together and I will buy all the foods that I want. I can either do my own cooking or continue eat with the host family. I hope this plan will work, or I will end up less than 90 lbs by the end of the training.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Hi Chi,

In order to servive you MUST TOTALLY FORGET about what your culture has taught you about living in someone else's home or country.You are doing god's work and trying to help others.If you do not eat good nutrious food everyday you will get real sick.Then everyone(most of all you)looses.I can understand giving up almost everything to help others but eating decient food is not too much for you to ask.WAKE UP,BUY YOUR OWN FOOD AND COOK!!!! I am hoping that as some more time passes your body will adapt and get use to the water and most of your surroundings.YOU ARE AWSOME CHI!!.PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!

Mike

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,
thanks for your concern. I am getting better now. I am eating well and gain back some weight. Thanks for leaving me the message. Keeping leaving me more message. I would love to hear everyone from home.
Best regards
Chi