Monday, August 30, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Another Cold Winter

August 29, 2010
After the heavy rain storm from last week, the weather remains relatively cool. Yesterday when I took my evening walk, I also noted that the sun began to set earlier, indicating autumn is underway, before long it will be winter. The path I walk on will soon be deserted.

I have made many friends along this path; teahouse owners, shop keepers, street vendors, little kids on the playground and a group of distinguish elderly retired Azerbaijan gentlemen. I will miss seeing them in the winter as all the teahouses will be closed, shop keepers and street vendors will no longer selling summer fruits and vegetables, kids and the elderly men will stay inside their homes to avoid the bitterly cold. I, however, will continue to walk on this route with solitude.

Unlike last year, I am well prepared for the upcoming winter. My landlord has provided me with a brand new heater, plus two big boxes from my sister full of dried noodle soups, mixed sweet drinks and other nutritious foods have just arrived. I do not have to go to bed hungry and cold again.

hər şey yaxşı olacaq! (everything will be fine!)

I am in a much better condition than most AZ7s. Some of them live in a very remoted village and can only take a shower once a week, or even once a month. I have a very high regard for their tolerance, flexibility and patience, the best qualities of a Peace Corps Volunteer. The AZ8 is coming and I hope they can endure their first harsh winter as we all AZ7 did, with grace and dignity.

No comments: