Friday, August 20, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Twin Sister

August 19, 2010
Among all the flowers, the Chinese night blooming cactus is my favorite. Its elegant stunning white flower, its fragrant, and its unique blooming behavior (only bloom at night for a few hours) all contribute to win the title as the best flower in Chi’s world.

Although I have seemed it bloom many many times, I never got tired watching it every summer. Around eight o’clock in the evening, little by little, the flower begins to open up, at the same time it starts to release its light fragrant, but by midnight, its flower starts to wither leaving its intoxicated aroma lingering into the night. I miss seeing my Chinese night blooming cactus bloom. Nevertheless, much to my surprise, I found its twice sister in Azerbaijan, only a few blocks away from my apartment.

One morning on my way to work, I passed by a courtyard where the summer flowers were in full bloom. Among them, a big white trumpet flower caught my attention. I took a few photos and determined to go back in the afternoon for another look. However, when I returned to the courtyard few hours later, the white flower already withered.

Not sure of its name, so I call it the “Morning Glory”. This flower do not have any fragrant but has the same unique blooming behavior as my Chinese night blooming cactus, blossom only a few hours in the morning. I figure it must be the long lost sister of my favorite flower, a twin which get separated many moons ago! I am glad to find it in Azerbaijan. Perhaps I will bring back some seeds and plant it right next to its sister.

No comments: