Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Ramadan & Fasting

August 30, 2010
Ramadan is the Islamic month of fasting. Although not every Muslim in Azerbaijan fasts, one of my co-workers Muhammad has been fasting everyday. Since I read the “Arabian Sands” five years ago, I have been enthralled by this religion, impressed by the Muslim people’s indubitable faith of Allah. Today, I decided to join my co-worker Muhammad and experienced this special event, refraining from eating and drinking from dawn until sunset. Let me tell you, not eating is bearable, but not drinking for 14 hours, my body was not reacting so well. By 3:00pm, I was so weak that I wanted to quit. I have to give Muhammad a lot of credits. He has been doing it everyday since August 11 and will continue until September 12, 2010!

Muhammad is a devoted Muslim. He read the entire Koran (Quran) when he was a little boy. He can quote every verse in the entire 114 chapters of the Koran. After showing him my desire to learn his religion, he sent me a copy of Koran (English version) and has been very helpful to guide me through some of the chapters. Most of my friends in New York always associate Muslim with terrorists. They stereotype this group and make sarcastic statements about them. After September 11, many injustice treatments were placed upon them. Recent event in New York City denying their right to build a mosque two blocks from the twin towers is just another example.

Four years ago I traveled to the desert of Sudan with five Muslim camel men. I witness their loyalty to Allah. Five times a day, they stopped whatever they were doing and prayed. With no water to wash, they used sands to clean themselves and knelt before Allah with the utmost affection. For them God is reality, and the conviction of his presence gives them the courage to endure. Fasting in Ramadan is a test of their self-restraint. Muslim, no doubt is a very proud race with strong spirit, believes an eye for an eye, and seems to have little regard for human life. This is the solemn side of their character. Nevertheless, they love poetry, are able to give natural expression to their feeling by a poetic form; this peaceful side of their people is frequently overlooked. As I get to know about their religion, my admiration to their people grows ever more. For that reason, I am willing to fast just for one day to show my respect.

I hope in the future, I will continue to observe this “self-restraint” exercise, not only for the medical and physical benefits but for the spiritual benefit as well.

No comments: