Sunday, September 12, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Contentment

September 9, 2010
The weather is just lovely lately. Getting up early this morning when the rest of the world is still asleep. Today is the Ramadan holiday, I am off from work at the bank, but still I love to get up before everyone. Sitting by the kitchen window, I feel the cool breeze. The air soothes me.

I have a big plan today. Egg plant is so cheap now so I bought 3 kilos (about 6.6 lbs) yesterday from the bazaar. It only costs me 1 manat (US$1.25). I am going to find a way to freeze them so I can preserve some of them for the upcoming winter. The yellow fig are everywhere in the bazaar, they are incredibly sweet. Few weeks ago, I made two jars of fig jam and I have been enjoying them with my toast every morning. I think I am going to make more today.


Last month, traveling to Turkey, I was taken by surprise to see my favorite flower (Night Blooming Cactus) growing in our fellow PCV home. The plant was not doing well. All the leaves were breaking due to the neglect. I bought one of the dying leaves home and it has roots now. It is ready to be planted. I think I will put it in the soil today. Afterward, I will go to the courtyard and play with the children, show them my Colgate Project and teach them how to brush their teeth. In the afternoon, I will work on my book. Yes, I am writing a book, my life journey. I hope when it is finished, I will have enough audiences to read it. Life seems to get better each day.

On my way to the bazaar, I look up to all the olive trees in my neighborhood. The plump green olives are getting bigger each day. I don’t think I will ever live on a street with so many olive trees again. Suddenly, a strange feeling surges, I feel the contentment. I guess I am indeed enjoying the simplicity of life here, a goal I set out to pursuit before I arrived.

I think I will miss my life in Azerbaijan……

No comments: