Monday, September 27, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Mid Autumn Festival

September 22, 2010

It is a full moon. Its bright orange color nearly blinds me tonight. Ah, it is the Annual Mid Autumn Festival. My hiking buddies must be at top of the Jackie Jones Mountain, hanging up the colorful paper lanterns, watching the moon, eating moon cake, drinking Jasmine Tea, and celebrating this annual special event. According to the Chinese lunar calendar, on August 15, the moon is the fullest and the brightest. There is a full moon every month, but if you pay more attention to the moon on August 15 (Chinese lunar calendar), you will notice the difference.

To me, the moon is like an old friend, accompanies me wherever I go. I saw this exact same moon when I was at top of Mt. Kilimanjaro, at the base camp of Mt. Everest, at the bottom of a canyon, and also on the balcony of my New York apartment. Here standing by the window of my Azerbaijan apartment, my old friend is here again, as bright, beautiful and warm as ever.

One thing is certain and the rest is lies;
The flower that once has blown, forever dies….


But the moon will be there for me until the day I lay rest.
I am not asking much of life; just want to find a person to be my friend for life….

The moon by my bedroom window
Illuminating the floor silvery below
Looking up to the moon

Remembering friends and family back home

Then, I think about an old friend far far away. I miss him dearly…..

No comments: