Friday, December 10, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - My Book

December 10, 2010

I have been busy writing my book and neglect to update my “blog” as often as I should. Few individuals show interest in reading my book, but it is still at a very primitive stage, so no one is allowed to read its entirety. However, I do not mind showing the “Preface Section” of the book to give you some hints as what is this book all about. When the book is finished, make sure you order a copy. Enjoy!

Preface

“A Humble Journey” describes my life journey. From the period when I was only three years old living in Hong Kong to the time reached middle age settling in the United States. This book transcribes
events that shaped and altered my life, moments that were dear and precious to my heart.

As a 3rd child g
rowing up in a lower-middle class home and a very traditional Chinese family, I neither had the opportunity nor the privilege to pursuit many of my childhood dreams freely and candidly. To be what I am today, I had to fight for the each opportunity vigorously and relentlessly every step of the way. Ambition and determination are my biggest assets, but were often viewed by my parents as detriments to my personality. They feared that I would never be an obedience wife. Little did they know that those are the best gifts they could ever give me. Inherited from my father’s ambition and my mother’s obstinacy, I have accomplished many goals I set out to do.

I have travelled to numerous mountains; drawn to many remote places. I have been on top of the highest mountain in Africa, seen the world highest waterfalls in Venezuela. I have endured in a sub-zero temperature at the base camp of Mt. Everest and tortured by the scorching sun of the Sahara Desert. It was on the slope of Mt. Rainer that I confronted with the ferocious wind, experienced what it took to be an alpinist.

By the Black Sea, I was touched by a glorious sunset and years earlier just as moved by the vista of the lost city in Machu Picchu. Many evenings standing by the shore of the Caspian Sea, I watched the fisherman bringing in their daily catch, singing and cheering the simplicity of life in Azerbaijan. Travelled to Turkey, I was in awe by the grandeur and the majestic mosque of Aye Sophia. On the edge of the Mediterranean Sea, I visited the Roman fortress, impressed by the ancient civilization that once dominated this part of the world. In China, the magnificent Buddha temple, Great Walls and the stone soldiers of Terra Cotta reminded me of my ancient heritage, how proud I am to be a Chinese. Finally, it was at the bottom of the canyon of Southern Utah where I sensed the deepest contentment and peace. I fell madly in love with the solitude surrounded me.

These are the lands I took great pleasure to walk on, and adventures that I undertook for self discovery. I am defined by those journeys and evermore humbled by the experiences.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A good start. -Jim