Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Wishful Thinking

December 14, 2010
Few days ago, I woke up in the morning and found out no running water. It was not the first time, it already happened a few times in December, I guess winter is officially here in Azerbaijan. From now on, water, gas and electricity will be on and off without any warning.

Yesterday I returned home 5:30pm, switched on the light, nothing happened, water was running very low, and I could not get the stove ignited. My apartment was ice cold and I was hungry. Really I should not complain, my other PCV friends are in a much worse situation, so I calmed down and did my yoga in the dark. Then my mind started to ponder…

5:30pm is the time school children return home and house wives start cooking dinner, why does the municipality decide to turn off the electricity or shut off the gas at this time? 7:00am in the morning, everyone gets up to go to school, to work, why does the government choose this time to turn off the water, and why, WHY no advance notice, or posting power shutdown schedule to alert everyone. But then, I realize I am in Azerbaijan, I am using the US standard to expect the local goverment behaving the same sensible and considerate way towards its fellow countrymen. I am an idiot.

Another day, I walked to the park and passed by a group of young women who all wore 3 or 4 - inch high heel shoes, fancy winter jackets (all made in China). They gave me a dirty look. By now, I am used to the stare, so I ignored them. But then, they turned around and their eyes kept following me. They stared at me from top to bottom and finally their eyes stopped at my running shoes. They giggled and said a few Azeri words that I understood completely. They thought my shoes were ugly. (My host mother made the same remark to me once). I am a woman; I should wear the kind of shoes they, the Azeri women wear.

Normally I would just walk away but that day, I had a very bad mood, so I turned around and l held up my three fingers. I told them to read between the lines (i.e. read my middle finger). I knew they did not understand, but it made me feel better. Soon after, my mind started to ponder again…..

I picture that they are all sitting in a beauty salon having their hair coloring, all the sudden no running water, or while they are having their facial hair plucked, suddenly the light is off. I will better, much better now.…. I am a devil.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love that picture insert. Little mischievous devil but not completely evil. :) -Jim