Friday, July 15, 2011

My Life in Azerbaijan - Climbing another Everest


July 15, 2011



Pick up a book from Peace Corps office, “My Everest Story”, it is a book about a young man climbing all the dangerous mountains since he was 13 years old. By the time he reached 16, he already acquainted with some of the best known climbers in the world, shared with them the hardship and the joy of Everest experiences. Although the book mentioned that he was just a regular kid, for me he is an exceptional human being. His philosophy of climbing is so different from that of other climbers. Mark Pfetzer is his name.

Mark and I have a few things in common. First, it is the dreams-to-reality ratio, we both score high. Similar to Mark’s belief, once I decide to take on a skill or an activity or a dream, I become committed. I learn, prepare and immerse myself so intensely that success is not only predictable but inevitable. A discipline, so many people I know is lacking. I wish there was a “Commitment” major in every university so the youngsters could learn the importance of holding on their dreams and not giving up easily. Reinhold Messner (a world renowned Everest climber) once said that climbing Everest is “Not strength”, he said, “but will. Will makes the body go up like an arrow”. A truism I found repeated often throughout my life - “If there is a will, there is a way”.

It was nearly 15 years ago that one of hiking club friends told me that she wanted to do something big. I was excited for her. After a while, I realized that was all talk. She did nothing to prepare for that “BIG” dream. Today, she is still moaning and groaning how unhappy her life is, how difficult to achieve anything. She blames her English, because she can not speak English well. I nearly wanted to ask her why she dropped out of her English class after just a few months. And today I saw similar problem exist among other PCVs. Some of them did not realize that coming to Azerbaijan is only the beginning of their commitment to Peace Corps, behaving like a truth Peace Corps Volunteer and remaining until the end of their service are the biggest part of their commitments. It is disappointing to see them quit so easily for whatever reason that they think is justifiable, or behaving like a typical “bad American” in front of the Azeri.

Again, it all comes down to “Commitment”, the simple secret to success. Joining Peace Corps was a big commitment that I made in 2006. Back then, I had to worry about a big mortgage, an obligation to my aging parents and a lot of consequences to consider before making that big step. It was a 3-year painstaking process, but I remained committed.

Today, nearly at the end of my service, I feel proud, another milestone, and other accomplishment I set out to do. Looking back the past 21 months, not a single moment that I thought about quitting. It has taken me so long to get this far, so quitting was, is and never will be my option, for I truly believe in Commitment.

No comments: