Sunday, July 31, 2011

My Life in Azerbaijan - Kindness of my Neighbor


July 31, 2011


Right beneath my balcony is a mulberry tree. Summer time, its leaves over grow and its branches spread everywhere. My balcony is practically sitting on top of that tree. I really do not mind the tree. I enjoy watching its branches waving back and forth with each breeze from the Sea. When the afternoon sun is so strong and the temperature becomes unbearable, the tree with its broad branches casts a shadow to my balcony, creating a lovely and inviting place to sit and cool off.



However, the only problem is; my laundry wire intersects with the tree. Winter when the tree is bare, it is not a problem. Summer, I often find my laundries tangled with the branches. Last week I tried to use a long stick to knock down some overgrown branches, but in vain. I was either not strong enough or my arms were too short to reach the branches. Eventually I gave up. This morning, when I hang my laundries, I notice something different about the tree. I did not really become aware of it until I hang my laundries. The overgrown branches are no longer there. Someone, sometime during the week, when I was not around, quietly climbed up to the tree and cut down those branches for me.




When I first moved in to this small, dusty and antique apartment compound, I hated the attention. Kids would be chasing after me; housewives followed my moves and whispered endlessly about me, and men, of course, stared at me intensively. I tried to be graceful and said my “salam” to all of them. Overtime, slowly and surely they have accepted me. Today, I realize not only that they have accepted me, they actually adopt me, watch over me as well. Perhaps last Sunday, someone accidentally saw me struggling with the tree; he/she decided to give me a helping hand.



I am moved, deeply touched by his/her kindness. My eyes become watery as I hang my last piece of laundry on the wire. Thank you neighbor, whoever you are. I will ask Allah to watch over you and your family, like the way you have been watching over me.

2 comments:

Wen said...

Chi Chi, when you come back, we miss you so much!

Veronika said...

Reading this has made me emotional. So moving! Thank G-d for kindness that still exists in people. YOU SHOULD WRITE A BOOK! Get it published!