Sunday, October 20, 2013

Life After Peace Corps - Govenment Shutdown




Government Shutdown

Nearly three weeks’ government shutdown allowed me to stay home and do nothing.  Except a few days visiting friends in New York, for the entire time, I was idle.   At first, I thought I would be bored, but contrary, I was happy to be “inactive”.  

Actually, the three weeks went by fast.   I was discipline enough to rise early in the morning.  Around 5:30am, got up and practiced yoga, then, showered, had breakfast and watched news for an hour.  After the morning routine, the entire day was free.  Sometimes I cleaned house, sometimes I read and wrote, sometimes I cooked, and sometimes, I just sat and watched my plants bathing in the morning sun, nothing unusual, but I found contentment in doing them.   Afternoon, after I finished watching PBS or Judge Judy (I love how she yelled at idiots!), I went for a 4-mile run. The run stimulated my appetite, so I prepared myself a hearty home cooked meal.  By the time I finished dishes, the day had nearly gone. When darkness came, my body reacted naturally; sleep came easily and I would be dozing off by 10:00pm.   For the 16 days, my life was so uncomplicated, so relaxed, so at ease, so peaceful, so “primitive” and yet so delightful.  It reminded me the two years I lived in Azerbaijan and the time I spent down in the remote canyons of Utah.  

Now I am back to work again, I have to rush to work and spend less time doing nothing.  So when weekend comes, I deliberately to slow down, take my time enjoying my morning tea and coffee, spend more time nurturing my plants, count each flower bud and inspect the new growths with excitement.  When I sit down and write about my weekend, I realize how much happiness I have by doing nothing, or I should say by doing simple things.

For those folks who caused the government shutdown, I urged them to take a few days off, de-tangle the complicating things and make thing simple.   Life would be much rewarding that way.

No comments: