Monday, October 07, 2013

My trip to the Rainbow Bridge



Returning to the Rainbow Plateau
-         into the Forbidden Canyon



Standing by the Round Rock Trail head, I wheel to gaze out and down to the somber and compelling landscape.  The Forbidden Canyon appears lonely, wide and grand.  Nothing moves below, but a raven sails by, black as coal, uttering a hoarse croak.  A southern author, Irvin Cobb once wrote:

“I’m reasonably sure that one of our species will ever get down into Forbidden Canyon or, having got down there, ever get out again.  So you see it is appropriately named…..Birds fly above it but it is reasonably certain that no living creature, anyway no two-footed or four-footed creature exists in it”

The unfathomable terrain, billows of bare red stone, carved and scoured by wind and sand, reaching mile after rocky mile into the intricate network of white, red and yellow canyons, creates this seemingly impenetrable labyrinthine maze. Beyond the horizon, nonetheless is this wonderful mystic haze of distance.  Four years ago, I was here.  Six of us were not prepared for the hardship.  Unexpected and prolonged rain worsened our situation.  Suffering from physical exertion, we eventually turned back.  



 

 For four years, I dreamed
about coming back. 




Today, the landscape before me is as rugged, desolated and bare as I remember.  The peace and silence, openness and freedom are also as overwhelming as I felt four years ago.  I once again have this peculiar kind of excitement……      When time to go, I swing my pack onto my back and walk down to this unforgiving ancient enigmatic land. Returning to the Rainbow Plateau not only is my dream, it is my destiny. 
September, 2013
Chi Chan

No comments: