Monday, June 28, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - First Adventure - Part 1: Escape

June 26, 2010
Last week of June, Vivian and I were supposed to travel to Neftchala for the summer camp helping other PCVs. The area is famous for its sturgeon fish which produces the expensive Caviar. (Caspian Sea produces 90% of the world caviar!) Due to various reasons, we decided to change plan and go on our adventure: The Lahic Odyssey. We are glad we did it, and we had the most amusing experience during the two days stay in this small remote village of Azerbaijan.

I heard about Lahic many times from other PCV hikers. The place is exceptionally beautiful. It is one of Azerbaijan’s most picturesque villages. We take a 16-passagers minibus from the Ismayilli (nearest town) to get there. A 45-minutes bumpy ride zip zaps through many spectacular mountain cliffs. 500 feet vertical drop below is a ragging river snakes pass many gorges with striking rocky pinnacles. While enjoying this incredibly scenic ride, I spot a shepherd’s track clinging terrifyingly to the other side of the valley. Excitement goes through my entire body instantly; it has been a very long time since I did my last hike. Would it be great if I can follow this route and get to the top to get my first view of the Caucasus Mountains. After all, I heard so much about this ancient mountain range since I was a little girl.

Our minibus crosses a small stream and begins to climb up to a hill. Five minutes later, we stop in front of a travel agency where an English-speaking man approaches us. Vivian was there three weeks ago and she knows the owner of the travel agency. Unfortunately, he is in Baku but his brother, who also speaks good English and offers us his assistance.

We check in our room which only costs us 8 azn a night. Our room is very rustic, has four small beds with two chairs, a naked light bulb dangling from the ceiling, simple but clean. Toilet and bathroom are outside. After having cheese and crackers for lunch, Vivian and I can not wait to go out for our adventure.

No comments: