Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Andrew's story: To be young is to be stupid

June 4, 2010
Andrew called me for some advice. I am glad he called. It shows that he still considers me as his friend. Andrew was in trouble few months ago. He eloped with an Azeri girl. For three days, Peace Corps and the girl’s parents were going crazy searching for them. The story instantly became a huge gossip among all the PCVs. His saga was posted in the internet and some harsh and mocking statements were made about his affair.

I am always the last one who knew about all the gossips, so when I saw Andrew last month during the training in Baku, I was unaware of his affair. So that day I greeted him without any “condemnatory, judgmental or disapproval” look. After he voluntarily told me his wild story, I honestly gave him my opinion and words of advice. I think he needed that and appreciated that as well.

Some PCVs are still making fun of him. His story is still a hot topic during any Peace Corps gatherings. I wish they could stop and give him a break. Whatever Andrew did, he did it out of passion, and he did it out of, what we all once believed in. “LOVE”. Andrew is young, his action maybe “stupid” but not against nature. I still remember how I was when I was young. I did wild things, I did things that my parents considered VERY inappropriate or sinful. I did things spontaneously, acted according to how I felt at that moment and could careless what the consequences were. But THAT IS THE BEAUTY OF IT! When you are young, you are entitled to make mistake, you are entitled to act stupid, and you definitely have the right to be rebellion! Those stupidities, rebellions, idiocies, foolishness and sinful acts add color to our youth. They are part of growing up. After all, life is about living, not just surviving! Having a notorious past, for me is better than having a boring life.

Every so often I wish I still had the courage to act spontaneously and freely, like when I was 19, not worrying too much, analyzing too much, or planning too much. I wish I could just DO it. As I grow older, I seek for security and take precaution for every move I make. I guess it is the byproduct of getting old. Like I said before, there are times for everything; times to have fun, times to fall in love; times to grow old….I accept it wholeheartedly.

As for Andrew, so long as he takes responsibility for his action and he does, we should leave him alone.

No comments: