Monday, June 28, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - My Favorite Time of the Day

June 27, 2010

After a week of travel, I am home and back to my daily routine. I like structure, certain times of the day to do certain things. It makes my days and weeks go much faster. I like that.

Everyday except Wednesday, I go to work at the bank from 10am to 4pm, afterward, take a 1.5 hours walk by the sea, and an half hour yoga before dinner. After dinner, I read, do some Sudoku to exercise my brain, then bed time.

Saturday is cleaning day, I clean my apartment and do laundry in the morning. Afternoon go to Baku and have my Azeri lesson. Sunday is cooking day. I hardly do any cooking in New York, but in Azerbaijan, eating out is considered luxury so I learn to cook some simple foods. Yesterday, I made my own jam! Yes, cherry jam and it is ok. Today, I make egg plant spaghetti sauce. Vivian taught me how to keep a good spaghetti sauce. I add some eggplants to the sauce that I made few weeks ago and put in more fresh tomatoes and hot peppers, and it tastes fantastic! Last week, I even baked bread, but it needs a few minor adjustments.  Tonight, I think I am going to bake a cake.

Breakfast in the morning is the time I cherish the most. In New York, I never had time to enjoy breakfast. I rushed to work, often skipped breakfast or ate very unhealthy. Here in Azerbaijan, I have an hour to enjoy breakfast before heading to the bank. Usually, I have fruits, toast, egg, or oatmeal, and a cup of coffee, more importantly, some flowers (which I picked during my daily walk) as a touch of nature. I sit by the kitchen window; listen to the bird singing, breath the fresh morning air and prepare for a new day. I begin to sense the essence of simple life. Life that I may not experience again once I return to the States. Only 18 months remain, so soon….

No comments: