Monday, June 28, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - A True Friend

June 18, 2010
Besides working for the bank, I also need to work on community project. I have been thinking to do a health project educating the youngsters to take a better care of their teeth. Oral hygiene is badly neglected in Azerbaijan; some of the kids do not even own a toothbrush. Like every project, you need money.

I mentioned my project to some friends in America and asked them for a small donation. Few individuals respond immediately and wired me the money within a week. I am grateful for their generosity, they are truly “a friend in need is a friend indeed”. Of course, there are some never respond or choose not to help. I am not angry with them. They have no obligation to help me, to help the children they never met, to give money to a country they never heard of.

However, if a person is willing to spend thousands of dollar on things that they do not even need but never thought of using some of those money helping others, it does not sound right, isn’t it? After all, “helping the poor” is one of the five pillars of wisdom, I expect my friends to have that decent human quality in them.

No comments: