Thursday, July 15, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Heat, the unbearable heat!

July 15, 2010
Finally it rained last night! Perhaps the monsoon rain from India at last reaches Azerbaijan or maybe it is the Khazri wind arrives from the north, it brings us the most needed rain and also the desired coolness to this town, so we have a piece of the pleasure, a total relief from the tormenting heat.

Rain does not come often in my town, especially during summer. Azerbaijan normally receives 300 days of sunshine and it is the absolute true. Summer in Baku and my town is appallingly hot. Average temperature is well above 35C or 97F. It is so hot in the afternoon that you can find every one hiding under a tree, or drinking çay (hot tea) in a teahouse.

Teahouse is a byproduct of this heat, it is kind of like the coffee shop in America, except in America, the shop serves cold drinks, but the teahouse here serves hot tea. Occasionally, it does serve cold beer but rare. Another exception is: no woman is allowed to enter into a teahouse. It is the gender issue. Imagine I purchase a cold beer and sit in a teahouse alone; it will be a BIG news in town! It is definitely an OLMAZ! (forbidden!) By now, I have learnt to live with it and not be bothered by it.

In New York, we have hot weather as well, but I am not normally troubled by it since AC is everywhere. The luxury thing that I took it for granted is not so accessible here. As a result, I do suffer occasionally. Fortunately I live alone, so I wear as little as possible in my apartment. Frequent cold shower often helps.

The experience however, humbles me. As a New Yorker, I inherit the typical “cocky and arrogant” habits and sometimes they do sneak up on me unconsciously. Every so often I lost my “cool” when I was confined inside a minibus with 100 degree temperature and with no AC. The locals, in contrast, simply sat quietly and patiently for the bus to leave the terminal.

The rain stops when I head out to work. It is a pleasure walk with a cool breeze. Nature once again provides the best remedy. I shall live….

No comments: