Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Life after Peace Corps

July 29, 2010
The world renowned Chinese architect I.M. Pei is a friend of my friend. I am always proud to have that remote connection with him, no matter how vague that association is. The first time when I learned about him, I like him immediately. Mr. Pei and I actually share a lot of things in common.

First, we are Chinese, grew up in HongKong, educated in and immigrated to America, had a career in New York and most of all, we both have the deepest passion for nature, we love plants; sensitivity that we were lucky to have. Because of that, we see and feel things around us differently from most people, we are passionate to do things that we believe in and vigorously pursuit our dreams without considering cost. I found myself liking him as if he is a grandfather I never had.

Two days ago, I saw him on TV again. 93 years old, he is still very alert; his mind is as sharp as a young man. When was asked what his greatest fulfillment was, surprisingly it was none of those well-recognized architectural designs he built. He simply answered that it was his family where he found happiness and contentment. His answer awakens me. I have pondered about my life after Peace Corps for quite sometimes. Staying in Azerbaijan, take the bank’s job offer or returning to New York, go back to the pressure lifestyle once more, I could not decide. Today, Mr. Pei’s answer has given me some ideas.

I ran away from home since I was a young girl, I was profoundly upset by the inequitable treatment between a son and a daughter in a traditional Chinese family. My elder sister is the only person I miss back home. I have left her to face the unfair treatment alone for a long time. Thinking about her often brings tears to my eyes. I spent most of life in America, have accomplished many dreams. Although my biggest dream which I have been chasing after for 18 years, has not yet become a reality. Considering all the effort and love I have put in to foster that dream, yet I have no regret for letting that dream die, I have done my best. After all, we cannot have everything in life, can we?

Lately I have been longing to go home, like the weeping willow tree, the taller it grows, the more its branches touch its roots. My root is in HongKong, where my sister and I will care for each other, where as Mr. Pei said, I will find happiness and contentment.

No comments: