Friday, July 09, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - A Job Offer

July 6, 2010
Last week, the director of HR of my organization in Baku called. She told me that the Vice Chairman (my counterpart) would like to talk to me. Right away I thought I was in trouble. After all, these past few months I have been sending him lots of e-mails asking questions and pointing out misstatements of the organization’s financials. He never answered any of my questions, I got a little bit frustrated so I sent him one last e-mail two weeks ago telling him “There are just too many mistakes, we need to talk!” Maybe he fed up with my attitude and wanted me to back off. Well, he cannot fire me, I am a volunteer! Expecting the worse, I went to his office.

He was later 45 minutes, but by now I am used to the “Punctuality Habit” of the locals. Finally he was ready to see me. The director of HR accompanied me to the meeting. I was wondering “WHY? Am I really in such a big trouble?” I met the Vice Chairman before. He is actually a gentleman. He apologized for being late, and after that he began to talk.

“Do you miss America Chi?”
“Of course”
“Do you like Sumgayit?”
“Yes, everyone in the branch is very kind to me”
“Living in Baku is better, lots of theater, shop, do you like Baku?”
“Yes, sure”
“What is your plan after Peace Corps?”
“I am planning to visit HK, see my family, travel and…”
“No no, I do not mean that, what is your future plan?”
“Oh, I need to find a job”

(Silence for a few seconds) He then looked at the director of HR first, then me and smiled,

“Well, our organization is going through restructuring, we can certainly utilize your skills to help us. It will be a senior level position. Do you think you will stay in Azerbaijan after Peace Corps?”

He really caught me off guard. I did not know what to say but I had to admit, I was flattered.

“Well, I haven’t thought about it…. but it is possible”
“You don’t want to leave Peace Corps right now, do you?”

Wow, is he asking me to quit Peace Corps. Immediately, my reaction is “NO”.

“I come to your country to help, not for my own personal interest”

I politely explained to him. He was a bit embarrassed, and then he continued,

“Are you willing to move to Baku and work in the HQ, we will subsidize your apartment, maybe after you finish Peace Corps, you will continue to work for us?”

At this point, I felt like floating in the air, feeling pretty good. This man was offering me a job, not just a job, a high level position job! but then I thought about “J”, my apartment, my friends in New York, NY China town, Utah, hiking, backpacking and….

“I need to discuss this with Peace Corps, please give me a week to think it over”

I left his office. On my way home, I kept thinking about his offer. The job market in the US now is very bad, when I finish my service with Peace Corps, I may not be able to find a job at once. Here in Baku, I am certain to have a job, this is truly a wonderful thing happening to me, but why am I not feeling so excited?

To be continued.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. -Jim

Tracy said...

I am just speculating, but you may not be excited because you haven't thought about it nor REALLY considered it yet. I haven't even been invited yet and I am thinking about my service. When I'm in service, I'm sure I'll be thinking about life after PC. You thoughts have probably been so focused on the things you mentioned, i.e., travel, NY, "J," etc., that you haven't had time to digest the offer.

I want to offer you the best of luck as you consider the offer and I'm sure that you'll make the right choice!! That's really a GREAT offer. And let me remind you, the economy/job market here is AWFUL!! I can't wait to get away!! I look forward to reading more of your blog! :)