Thursday, January 12, 2012

Life After Peace Corps - My New Altitude

January 12, 2012

I have been back from Azerbaijan more than a month. My daily life more or less is back to “normal”. I did not have a hard time readjusting myself to the modern world as Peace Corps warned us, the RPCVs. I welcome all the amenities that the modern world has to offer; such as drinking the tap water without any fear that it would get me sick, running water, gas and electricity would be available without any interruption, going to a supermarket and get anything I need, my apartment will be warm and clean etc. Unconsciously, I have switched my mind back to the point of time before leaving Peace Corps, twenty seven months ago.

In spite of the easy transition, one thing I notice that I do have difficulty changing is my attitude towards others. Yesterday, I returned an item to Sears and the sale person was very rude and refused to take back the item (which is against Sears’ returning policy). I did not get frustrated; instead, I politely explained to her my problem and apologized for the inconvenience that I caused. When I left the store, I was very surprised the way I acted. “Where did that good manner come from?”

The image of a warm and friendly Azeri elder immediately emerges. I have tamed by the good nature people in Azerbaijan. Having lived with them for two years, without knowing, I take on their traditional way of treating each other: respect, hospitability, and patience.

For a month, I was so occupied by the hustle and bustle life in American that I nearly forgot my life in Azerbaijan. I took a few hours to re-read my blog and relived some of the precious moments with my Azeri friends. I miss my co-workers in the bank, my landlord, my neighbors, my vegetable man and woman in the Bazaar, my program manager, Peace Corps staffs in Baku, the olive trees, the Azeri gardens, the Caspian Sea, the magnificent sunset, the infamous Baku gale…

Serving Peace Corps in Azerbaijan is one of the most humble experiences of my life.

No comments: