Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Life After Peace Corps - Returning to the United States

December 1, 2011

The first few days while I was in Hong Kong with my family, I often felt disoriented and confused. Few times, I woke up in the morning and forgot where I was, Azerbaijan, Hong Kong or the United States? Sometimes I spoke Chinese with my sister, sometimes I reacted to her questions with Azeri and sometimes, I mixed my sentences with three different languages. Now back to my New York apartment, I felt a little better, although once in a while, I was still puzzled as why the person on TV not speaking Azerbaijani.

The most difficult part of readjusting my life in the US is the “Cost of Living”. I was so used to paying only 50 cents or a dollar for a kilo of apples, carrots, potatoes and tomatoes, now I could easily spend more than 30 dollars every time I went grocery shopping. (30 dollars were my three weeks’ food money in Azerbaijan) Two-year life with Peace Corps, I learn to be moderate when it comes to spending money. I am not cheap but today I have to watch every dollar I spend, because I have no income, not even the meager Peace Corps allowance. I ought to be discipline and live within my budget.

Remember those good old days when I worked in Wall Street, I earned money more than I could spend. I had a luxury life but not necessary a satisfying one. Now, even I can not afford to go out for a nice dinner with friends, I feel content just cooking a simple but healthy meal for myself or my guests. I sense the newness of life, the kind of bliss coming from within my soul, it is hard to describe.

I love my life, very much!

No comments: