Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Life after Peace Corps

My New Cozy Home

January 31, 2012

For three days, I unpacked all the boxes, dragged furniture from one corner to another, arranged and rearranged them until I was pleased, hang up my favorable pictures and paintings, placed my plants at the right spot to catch the precious sun. (Unlike my NY apartment, my new place does not have a balcony; it is going to be hard to keep my plants happy). Then, I began to clean. First, I scrubbed, bleached and wiped the bathtub until it is spotless clean. My big brother HY will be so proud of what I did. He is going to enjoy the bubble bath at my place. Then, I mopped the wood floor, waxed it with oil and polished it with a dry clean cloth. I love how it feels when I walk on it with my bared foot. Here are few pictures to show my hard work:



I never had a bathroom this tiny. My new apartment is an old 1948 building, and the bathtub is old and small. After all the scrubbing and bleaching, it is now good enough for a king to take a relaxing bubble bath.






I am very pleased with what I did with this seemingly dull corner. It is a dark narrow corridor that leads to the bathroom. I would love to place one of my favorite plants there, but with no sun, the plastic flowers will do the trick.







My bedroom catches the late afternoon sun. Last evening, I witnessed one of the most magnificent sunsets. The sky was drenched with crimson and orange color. It nearly moved me to tears...



I have a huge dinner room and a living room. Can't wait to invite my NY friends here.

Every night I went to bed exhausted. By the end of the 3rd day,both my arms were hurting badly.

Yes, my new apartment is an antique place, but with so many charming characters: the aged dark wood floor, pantry in the kitchen, huge living space, and solid walls. I know I will attach to this place very soon.

Tomorrow, I am going to take a l
ong walk around my neighborhood.

No comments: