Monday, March 15, 2010

My Life in Azerbaijan - Chicken Fight

March 15, 2010
After work, I usually exercise for an hour in my host family’s back garden. Now spring is here and while I am stretching, climbing stairs and jumping up and down, the birds would be singing above me, the family’s three kitties would be chasing each other in front of me, sometimes, stop and “mew mew” at me then go on their way again in the garden. Today while I am doing my normal routine, I witness the “Chicken Fight”. First it is entertaining, and then it turns scaring and finally it becomes bloody.

I dislike violence and never saw a chicken fight or any human fight except in the movie. I remember watching the movie “Gladiator” which has so many violent scenes that I ended up covering my ears and eyes for half of the movie. My heart would be pounding like crazy if I hear people shouting at each other. One time, I saw two men were in the heat of an argument and they were about to hit each other, I froze and turned pale. I begged people around me to stop them, to call 911, and finally I covered my eyes and ran away.

These two male chickens are always the trouble makers. They make lots of noise in the morning and they are constantly are on top of the hens, driving all the hens crazy. Some hens are still “teenagers” but these two cocks do not care, they have to be on top of every single hen. (in human term, we call this rape!) It is the power play, I know, a typical “male” thing. I do not know how it begins, when I discover the fight, one of the cocks already has blood on its neck. But boy oh boy, he is mad, kicking, jumping and flying all over the chicken shed. The other cock is mad too. Since he is a little bit bigger, it looks like he is going to win the fight. I watch them for a few minutes and begin to feel disgusted. I also feel bad for the loser. Its entire neck is covered with blood and its head, most of the time, get pinned down by the other cock. As the fight progresses, I get scared. “Stop the fight!” a voice inside me urges me to stop the two stupid chickens from killing each other.

“Get, Get” (in Azeri means go away),
“Stop, or I will slaughter you tonight, both of you!” (now I switch to English, hoping they will stop)

No response, they are still fighting

So I go to my room, take my camera and photo this historical moment. I guess the flash scares them for a second, they stop and then they are back at each other again. I really do not want to see any more of this fight, so I get a stick and walk into the shed. My present scares other chickens; they are flying, screaming and running everywhere. However, these two trouble makers ignore me entirely and go on their up and down head motion. Finally, I give up and go back to my room.

Later I show my host mother the pictures and tell her to make these two bad boys our next dinner meals.

“Yox, Chi, yurmutar yoxdur” Ana disagreed, She said “ If we kill them, the hen will have no eggs!” Oh boy!

Updated news: the loser did die. My host mother found its corpse next day. so sad... Why they had to fight? Why couldn't they just live in Peace with each other? I don't like a lot of people, but I never thought of killing them??? I donot understand it....

No comments: